Southfields is one of the few centres in the UK to offer in-house radiation as part of our treatment for cancer. Led by a world-renowned RCVS and European Specialist, our radiation team has many years of experience dealing with radiation oncology cases.
The radiotherapy service enables referred patients to access a full-time, fullyfunctioning linear accelerator (LINAC), which uses ionizing radiation to accurately target and treat neoplasia and occasionally specific benign diseases.
Our service also offers a unique online platform that allows the referring veterinary surgeons to enter some basic information with the client and then discuss the potential treatment plans before booking a referral.
Advanced clinical services include:
- definitive radiotherapy treatment (also known as curative-intent treatment), which is usually the protocol of choice for most cancers as it gives the best chance of long-term tumour control
- palliative radiotherapy treatment (also known as hypofractionated treatment), which delivers a lower dose of radiotherapy that is sufficient to slow the tumour’s growth or reduce associated pain
- low dose radiation therapy (LDRT) for osteoarthritis (OA), which is available for dogs to control chronic, unresponsive pain in the long-term.
Equipment and facilities include:
- bunker made from solid concrete and lead
- Varian linear accelerator
- sophisticated planning software, specifically to decide on correct treatment plans and ensure optimal treatment of cancer with minimal side effects and complications
- specialist vacuum bags for patient positioning to ensure accurate treatment.
Patient case advice
We welcome calls if you require pre-referral advice about a patient, even if no referral follows. Call us on 01268 564664
Making a referral
If you would like to refer a case, the quickest way is to complete our online referral form is by clicking the button below.
If your case is an emergency, urgent or out of hours, please telephone us on 01268 564664